16.7.11

First Step


Eating real food is hard.

Really hard.

It takes time
and focus
and planning,
a lot of planning.

After posting yesterday, I got very discouraged.
How is this possible.

It costs money (but hopefully not the way I do it) and time and concentration.

I literally spent all day yesterday researching online,
so now you know I will become an expert.

Despite the little discouragement, I am moving slowly

And you can too.

Here's how:

One step at a time.

It cannot all be done at once.

So take a deep breath.

Here's what I am going to do this week.
  1. Dry 3 lbs of pears--they were on sale. (post coming soon)

  2. Made four ingredient tomato sauce. Freeze it in one cup increments because that's all we eat at a time anyway. Look at us, saving money.
Let me comment on this four ingredient tomato sauce. It's amazing! I could drink it. Seriously.

I did things a little differently than the recipe above.
  • Puree six 14-oz cans of whole tomatoes (They are 10/10 at Albertson's.)
  • Heat 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil in a large pot
  • Sautee 5 minced garlic cloves in the hot olive oil, soften for two minutes (do not let them brown--i.e. stir frequently)
  • Add 1/2 cup pureed tomatoes, let it warm and become a golden color
  • Add the rest of tomatoes
  • Bring to a boil and simmer for four hours
  • Let it cool, then measure into freezer safe bags or containers and freeze

So despite the little setback yesterday, I'm feeling pretty good about this movement. There's nothing like using a little of that marinara that I made from scratch and feeling accomplished. It's the little things, right?

Try it. You won't want to go back to $3 jars of marinara. I don't.

1 comment:

  1. How glad am I that I married you? Seriously! You're the best! And not just because you're an amazing cook!

    ReplyDelete