1.3.11

tangy blt

DSC_0384

I suppose the best acronym is a BST--Bacon Spinach and Tomato-- but it all depends on what you have. That's what's so great about this recipe. Easy and it's always a winner even when the pantry is running a bit low. The recipe below is for one person, but it can easily be multiplied.

{ingredients}

  • 2 strips of precooked bacon
  • 2 slices of Roma tomato
  • 1 handful of baby spinach
  • Pepperjack cheese
  • Onion and chive cream cheese (mayo/miracle whip works too)
  • 1 spoonful of white wine vinegar
  • 2 slices whole wheat bread
  • Dijon mustard to taste
  • A few sprinkles of kosher salt (it has half the sodium of table salt! Did you know that? I just found that out and as a girl who is obsessed with salt--was thrilled!)
  • A couple cracks from your pepper grinder
{directions}
Rip the precooked bacon in half and toss it in a pan to heat up. You may also use your microwave, but I like the way the bacon crisps on the stove.

Toast your bread. The best way for this is to use a toaster oven (Jeff and I opted for that instead of a toaster when we got married and haven't regretted it yet). When the bread is close to golden brown, place one slice of pepper jack cheese on top to melt it.

When the bread is toasted and the cheese melted, top the cheese with the strips of bacon. Add the handful of baby spinach--here's the essential, mouthwatering part: Pour a little bit of your vinegar in a small spoon and sprinkle it over the baby spinach. Let it sit for a moment to soak into the spinach.

Top the spinach with your tomato slices. Spread some onion and chive cream cheese on the other piece of toast (or mayo if you don't have that). Squirt some dijon mustard and top of that, and then press that piece on top of the baby spinach-covered toast. Smash it slightly so that your sandwich doesn't fall apart. Cut diagonally and enjoy.

Enjoy the white wine vinegar and the dijon and onion and chives and the tomato and bacon and pepper jack cheese.

This sandwich really wakes up your taste buds and makes them sing.

Literally.

Don't believe me?

Give it a try.


4 comments:

  1. Will you just move to Provo and be my personal chef?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a food blog too! Ophelia and Titania: Food bloggers! Who knew? It looks really great! I love your banner! Did you take that picture? I really really need a new banner for mine. Mine is horrible and huge and I want something more classy and simple. Your pictures look great too! What kind of a camera are you using? You should join Daring Kitchen. It is soooo much fun! I miss you. How's life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks, Amy Jo! Yes, I did take the picture. I've been having a lot of fun getting to know my new camera. It's a Nikon D5000. I'm not sure how to use a lot of it yet, but I'm excited to learn. I love your food blog. I saw you got a new camera too. What kind did you get?

    Life's going well. Has Benjamin found out where he'll be attending school? You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My camera is a canon Rebel XT. We bought the camera used from benj's brother, Abe. It is an older model, but we have a lens that we really like (canon 50 mm f/1.8). What kind of lens do you have? I am still learning how to navigate my camera, too. Benj is really good at it, but I am still trying figure it out. Benj has been accepted to a few different schools, but our top choice is Ohio State. We are still waiting to hear back from U of Washington and we really hope to get accepted there.

    ReplyDelete