First, I made these Spicy Black Bean Cakes (thank you, Martha). It was amazing and delicious, and you should make it too. It's so healthy and filling for a vegetarian dish.
DO: Wait to cook the jalapenos and garlic until after the rest of your vegetables are prepped and ready. I didn't wait and the jalapenos and garlic stood getting cold on the stove.
DON'T: Try to just make 8 patties. This recipe created a large batch and if I were to make only 8 patties, they would have been enormous.
FOR ME: I didn't have all the ingredients for the lime sour cream, so I improvised:
- Mix 1/3 cup sour cream (or all that's left in your tiny container) with a couple squeezes of mayo.
- Add lime juice. Stir to combine.
- To spice things up, add a few dashes of paprika.
- Place the remaining patties (after being cooked) in a zip-lock bag in the fridge over night.
- Come home from work, hungry (and proud that you didn't eat the remaining bags of Cheez-its under your desk).
- Put rice in the rice cooker (according to package directions) and start cookin'.
- Do some minor cleaning--vacuum, sweep, etc.
- When the rice is done, throw some olive oil in a saute pan.
- Add the leftover patties. Break them apart and let them warm up.
- Toss two and a half heaping spoonfuls of rice.
- Add some soy sauce and this amazing goodness (Panda Express Orange Sauce).
- I've found the amazing orange sauce at both the grocery stores in this small town, so it should be available to most of you.
- Cook until it's piping hot.
- To yourself on a cold winter's day, waiting for your significant other to return.