25.1.11

drink to your health


My name is Lindsay and I have a problem.

I don't drink water. I rarely drink anything, actually. I prefer to chew. I drink a few sips at meals and a few during the day if I get parched, but rarely at all.

Yes, I have a problem. I need water. Our bodies need water. As an article I just read points out, water is one of the basic elements of life. Our survival depends on it. Not just survival, but having a quality, healthy life is dependent on water.

I'm not the healthiest person around. I admit it. I try, but it seems I'm quite often knocked backward by some ailment or another. As I was thinking about this today, I realized that water could have a lot to do with it.

So, here's my goal. According to the MayoClinic, women should drink 2.2 liters of water per day, which is around nine cups. I plan to reach this goal every day for the rest of the week.

The huge problem is that I don't like the stale flavor of water. Not to mention the metallic taste of water at my work. I've been trying to drink more but I have to choke it down more often than usual.

As I was thinking about this, I realized that when I go to a restaurant I always order water with lemon. I have to have a lemon in my water to drink it at a restaurant, so why not have a lemon in my water at home/work too?

So, here's my plan (goals must have plans).
  • Always have a pitcher of fresh, filtered lemon water waiting for me in the fridge
  • Take a Nalgene bottle to work--don't drink the nasty metal water anymore
  • Drink one pitcher every day (each pitcher is 2 quarts, which equals 8 cups), plus one more glass before bed
There you have it. I'm planning to give small, health tips every so often as I move forward on my little journey toward healthy eating and drinking. (I'll soon be posting fast lunches for every day.)

This whole water epiphany occurred thanks to the Happy Little Vegans and her inspiring Holiday Detox.

Anyone else have suggestions for a good detox?

3 comments:

  1. I have to push myself to drink enough water, too. Ever since I experienced those awful kidney stones toward the end of my first pregnancy, I've been working hard to drink more water and reduce my sodium intake (the two suggestions the urologist gave me). It's not easy, but I sure hope it helps out! I guess we'll know in the next few months . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Tammy! I don't know if I've said that yet.

    Also, I've always wondered. People say having a kidney stone is worse than giving birth. Since you experienced both, what's your thought?

    ReplyDelete