9.4.11

Meal Planning

My first attempt at smart food shopping and budgeting... It's very, very difficult for me. I like quality ingredients and will usually pay for them, but when I start noticing the decline in my bank account, I realize something must change. Well, I did it tonight. I have planned and shopped for four meals for $24. Some of the ingredients are already on-hand, but here you go:

Meals
Carrot soup and salad
Balsamic Brown Butter Veggies with Spaghetti Squash
(recipe to come this week--my own delicious creation)

Totals
carrot soup and salad ... $3.21 (many ingredients already on-hand)
1 lb carrots ... 1.69
3 red potatoes ... 1.00
1 onion ... .77
arugula ... 1.75 (halved the cost because we won't eat all of it in one sitting)
1 roma tomato ... .82

baked lemon pasta ... $2.64
sour cream ... 1.79
lemon ... .50
parsley ... .35 (halved the cost because half will be used for cucumber sandwiches)

cucumber sandwiches ... $3.66
english cucumber ... 2.49
parsley ... .35 (other half)
1 roma tomato ... .82

balsamic brown butter veggies with spaghetti squash ... $7.62
orange bell pepper ... 2.49
1 roma tomato ... .82
red onion ... .52
spaghetti squash ... 3.79

I don't know about you, but I've enjoyed this quick little exercise. It's kind of liberating to see how much I can save when I actually think about the meals I am preparing.

Try it; I dare you. Let me know how it works out for you.

2 comments:

  1. this is the only way we shop. not only do we save money, we also utilize everything in our fridge.

    can't wait to see you two later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, thank you. We can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete